[PROJECT HAS ENDED] The "Crowds" Library

Contribute or start a crowdsource project here.

Would you like to contribute to the "Crowds" Library?

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 99

axk
Critical Listener

Re: The "Crowds" Library

Post by axk » July 16th, 2014, 10:07 am

I'm in. Let's do this!

GrahamDonnelly
Critical Listener

Post by GrahamDonnelly » July 23rd, 2014, 12:49 am

I'm in for sure - the last library has been amazingly helpful, fingers crossed we can gather some awesome crowds.

JackMenhorn
Critical Listener

Post by JackMenhorn » July 28th, 2014, 6:13 am

I am also in!

samueljustice
Critical Listener

Post by samueljustice » August 1st, 2014, 1:33 pm

Got some great stuff from a trip to the Zoo this week that I'll put towards the library, hopefully will prove useful.
File Naming:
I'm open to suggestions for the naming convention on this project. Please respond in this thread if you have any thoughts on how we should structure it.

Please keep file names fairly short (31 characters if possible) and use underscores instead of spaces when necessary.

Use the following order for naming conventions:
  • - CATEGORY: We will be using the prefix "CROWD".
    - Location (Country): Where the recording was captured. Please use the country name.
    - Location (City_State): Where the recording was captured. Please use the city name or closest thing to it.
    - Misc: Any other small details you can squeeze in. Think one or two key words from the recording.
Examples:
CROWD_Italy_Naples_Restaurant_01
CROWD_USA_Chicago_Illinois_Coffee_Shop_01
CROWD_USA_Chicago_Illinois_Coffee_Shop_02
CROWD_Canada_Vancouver_Women_Baby_Shower_01

If numbering variations please start with a suffix padding of "0" (01, 02, 03).

Meta-Data:
If capable, please embed appropriate meta-data to the broadcast wave file information. Things to tag are the recordist's name, more detailed info about the location, mic setup, and other keywords from the recording.
This is one thing the last sound library suffered from big time, the metadata was fairly inconsistent and I find the results rare to show up in searches where the keywords entered should have matched the content from the library. Would it be worth having someone do a big metadata pass on the library once it's all been collected? I would happily put my name in the hat in for that. I think (like you've said Mike), suggestions for metadata are super important, it makes the content easy to find, especially in the larger databases where filecount is in the hundreds of thousands, if not over a million.
Last edited by samueljustice on September 7th, 2014, 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

petr.neubauer.cz
Intern

Post by petr.neubauer.cz » August 2nd, 2014, 6:58 am

I'm in too, but as I'm new to this forum, do I have to signup somewhere?
Thanks!
I like the idea!

MikeQuell
Site Admin

Post by MikeQuell » August 3rd, 2014, 1:09 am

petr.neubauer.cz wrote:I'm in too, but as I'm new to this forum, do I have to signup somewhere?
Thanks!
I like the idea!
Nope, just flag "Yes" on the poll if you please. The more people that flag it will probably end up influencing others to sign up.

-Mike

MikeQuell
Site Admin

Post by MikeQuell » August 3rd, 2014, 1:12 am

This is one thing the last sound library suffered from big time, the metadata was fairly inconsistent and I find the results rare to show up in searches where the keywords entered should have matched the content from the library. Would it be worth having someone do a big metadata pass on the library once it's all been collected? I would happily put my hat in for that. I think (like you've said Mike), suggestions for metadata are super important, it makes the content easy to find, especially in the larger databases where filecount is in the hundreds of thousands, if not over a million.
Totally open for suggestions. I've been exchanging some emails with Alex Knickerbocker on this. I don't have the time to manage the meta-data portion of this library so if someone else is willing or wants to lay out a suggestion for a convention, please do. I can update the initial post and place it on the "submission details post" when it's ready.

axk
Critical Listener

Post by axk » August 3rd, 2014, 3:36 pm

samueljustice wrote:Got some great stuff from a trip to the Zoo this week that I'll put towards the library, hopefully will prove useful.
File Naming:
I'm open to suggestions for the naming convention on this project. Please respond in this thread if you have any thoughts on how we should structure it.

Please keep file names fairly short (31 characters if possible) and use underscores instead of spaces when necessary.

Use the following order for naming conventions:
  • - CATEGORY: We will be using the prefix "CROWD".
    - Location (Country): Where the recording was captured. Please use the country name.
    - Location (City_State): Where the recording was captured. Please use the city name or closest thing to it.
    - Misc: Any other small details you can squeeze in. Think one or two key words from the recording.
Examples:
CROWD_Italy_Naples_Restaurant_01
CROWD_USA_Chicago_Illinois_Coffee_Shop_01
CROWD_USA_Chicago_Illinois_Coffee_Shop_02
CROWD_Canada_Vancouver_Women_Baby_Shower_01

If numbering variations please start with a suffix padding of "0" (01, 02, 03).

Meta-Data:
If capable, please embed appropriate meta-data to the broadcast wave file information. Things to tag are the recordist's name, more detailed info about the location, mic setup, and other keywords from the recording.
This is one thing the last sound library suffered from big time, the metadata was fairly inconsistent and I find the results rare to show up in searches where the keywords entered should have matched the content from the library. Would it be worth having someone do a big metadata pass on the library once it's all been collected? I would happily put my hat in for that. I think (like you've said Mike), suggestions for metadata are super important, it makes the content easy to find, especially in the larger databases where filecount is in the hundreds of thousands, if not over a million.
Hey Sam! As Mike mentioned, he and I have been chatting about this via email and I'd be willing to donate some time to making that happen. I manage the sound library over at Universal Pictures, so it wouldn't be anything too out of the ordinary! :D Was thinking that we could perhaps establish a metadata tagging convention. People could send in their metadata in a text file along with their recordings, and it could be embedded using Soundminer from there.

Obviously there would need to be some standard to stick with so that everyone can send the relevant info. Thoughts?

MikeQuell
Site Admin

Post by MikeQuell » August 3rd, 2014, 9:26 pm

I think it's a great idea, Alex. With your experience at Universal, do you have any conventions that you've found to work and would recommend?

samueljustice
Critical Listener

Post by samueljustice » August 4th, 2014, 3:12 am

That sounds great! Echoing what Mr. Niederquell says, any conventions or standardisations would be great to hear and learn about.
I've just started editing some of my recordings, so far I've labelled out the metadata like this -
Location - Broad Definition - Description - Recorder - Recordist Initials - Date

For example -
Marwell Zoo England UK - Crowds Walla Exterior - Top of Penguin Exhibit Looking Down at Crowd Talking, Children Laughing and Playing, Water Fountain Heard - Sony M10 - SMJ - 20140731