Unreal Editor 4 and Wwise

All things gaming. From design to implementation.
MikeQuell
Site Admin

Unreal Editor 4 and Wwise

Post by MikeQuell » August 5th, 2014, 10:34 pm

Anyone out there using UE4 with Wwise integration? How are you liking it? Is it integrated well?

dpb
Critical Listener

Re: Unreal Editor 4 and Wwise

Post by dpb » August 6th, 2014, 11:08 am

Yeah I went through the process of doing the UE4 integration Audiokinetic released a couple months ago. It was a little tricky and took a lot of patience but once it's up and running it's pretty cool. You can have Wwise up, do play-in-editor in UE4 and the the profiler can connect to that. Adjust a sound's attenuation in Wwise and it updates the spherical representation of that in the editor in real-time. Drag and drop events from Wwise into UE4. UE4's Blueprint system is fun and there are Wwise specific things you can do in there.

They've fixed a couple bugs that they had in the first integration like not being able to properly package your game with working audio and I had a missing .dll file at first.

I had never done anything where I needed to get the source code and use Visual Studio to build the project files before but there was enough documentation that I was able to follow to get it to work. It did take me a few tries though.

MikeQuell
Site Admin

Post by MikeQuell » August 7th, 2014, 10:23 am

Cool. I'm noticing simple things like not being able to add an AK Event to Matinee's but maybe that's something missing, and needing to be integrated still.

dpb
Critical Listener

Post by dpb » August 7th, 2014, 12:32 pm

MikeQuell wrote:Cool. I'm noticing simple things like not being able to add an AK Event to Matinee's but maybe that's something missing, and needing to be integrated still.
Yeah I haven't touched matinee yet. How are you getting around that? Adding regular event tracks that point to AK events in blueprints?

The integration does feel fairly simple. I don't like how you have to manually type in the name of the RTPC you're trying to modify. I also don't like how you have to assign a sound bank for every event you bring in. Not sure if there is a difference when creating the bank in UE4 vs in Wwise and then bringing it in.

I like how they have "Stop on actor destroyed" for each AK event. That's a nice simple way to clean up loops.

Anyone aware of any games out that are using both UE4 and Wwise?

MikeQuell
Site Admin

Post by MikeQuell » October 6th, 2014, 7:35 am

Have had some time to mess around with it more. I'm quite the fan now and think it's very powerful for smaller devs trying to get up and running quickly, post integration. The plug and play power of the obstruction and occlusion stuff is worth it alone. Seems like very low workload on integration time (if any) to support that.

JackMenhorn
Critical Listener

Post by JackMenhorn » December 12th, 2014, 9:54 am

Any good sources of documentation for the integration between the two? Seems like you already have to have the license from Wwise to gain access to their materials.

JackMenhorn
Critical Listener

Post by JackMenhorn » February 9th, 2015, 8:01 pm

So am I right in assuming that occlusion is handled just by any geometry tht exists? IE: you dont have to set up AudioVolumes for occlusion at all?

MikeQuell
Site Admin

Post by MikeQuell » February 9th, 2015, 8:26 pm

I was researching it in AudioKinetic's test level they provided. I believe it was just using level geometry but I'm not sure how it was filtering it (line of sight, geometry collision, etc). So as a bare bones form of implementation, it's kind of cool.

There might be some more info here: https://www.audiokinetic.com/qa/

JackMenhorn
Critical Listener

Post by JackMenhorn » February 10th, 2015, 5:46 am

I believe in the documentation they say "line of sight" which as a Technical Sound Designer sounds too good to be true!

MikeQuell
Site Admin

Post by MikeQuell » February 10th, 2015, 8:16 pm

JackMenhorn wrote:I believe in the documentation they say "line of sight" which as a Technical Sound Designer sounds too good to be true!
Single ray cast. :)