How do you listen to mobile games?

All things gaming. From design to implementation.

Headphones
40%
Device speakers
40%
Muted
20%

Total votes: 5

MikeQuell
Site Admin

Post by MikeQuell » October 16th, 2014, 8:52 pm

Curious how most of you listen to mobile games. I have to admit (which embarrasses me to say), if it's something I'm playing on my phone, the sound is usually off. To give me some marginal credit, I usually play the first few times with the volume up to hear how it sounds. If it's exceptionally well done or adds to the storytelling (voice overs, sets mood, etc.) I will probably make an effort to wear some ear buds.

AndreEngelhardt
Critical Listener

Re: How do you listen to mobile games?

Post by AndreEngelhardt » November 12th, 2014, 4:20 am

Same here, usually listen to the sound for a bit and if it keeps me interested then I put headphones on but 9 out of 10 times I play sound very softly through the device speaker or turn it off altogether.

Recently I've created the sound and music for a game called Blockadillo (block breaking puzzle platformer) which was my first mobile game for Android. The wide variety of headphones and device speakers that people potentially could be playing the game on really didn't help in defining a "target" so I decided to just mix for headphones with the standard Apple headphones as a "reference".

The main goal was to make the sound interesting and rewarding enough so that people would at least keep it turned on and that the sounds would add to the game-experience. Recent gaming expos and events showed that I might have accomplished that but I know that if people play the game using the device speaker about 90% of the sound experience is lost (though I really tried to keep the most important audio feedback in the range that even tiny crappy phone speakers would be able to reproduce) and that will lead to people just turning the sound off completely and not even trying headphones.

Working on another mobile game I've been experimenting with binaural sound as a ways to get people to use headphones and add something fun and unique sounding to the experience but a lack of engines that aren't GPL or prohibitively expensive might mean this will just remain a concept.

GrahamDonnelly
Critical Listener

Post by GrahamDonnelly » November 28th, 2014, 10:12 am

It really depends on where I am playing. For example playing Angry birds on the underground, sound will be off whilst I listen to my music.
Or GTA Vice City in a waiting room, I will have the music off and sound effects really low.

I am currently playing the Walking Dead on iPad and also Limbo - I listen to these with headphones all the time, as the audio work is beautiful. But I only play these games on longer coach/train trips or sat at home when the girlfriend is watching some TV I dislike.

audiojacked
Intern

Post by audiojacked » November 28th, 2015, 4:23 am

If the game sounds interesting and I know I will keep playing it I will stick my headphones on. Badlands and Bastion are notable games that I have played through entirely with headphones on because of the stunning sound track and creative sound design.

I recently switched my iPhone to an Xperia Z5 which has decent stereo front facing speakers. It has made most games more immersive and enjoyable to play, and now I tend to leave the sound on if I'm playing at home on the sofa or somewhere quiet.