GDC Talk - "Oh My! That Sound Made the Game Feel Better!"

All things gaming. From design to implementation.
MikeQuell
Site Admin

GDC Talk - "Oh My! That Sound Made the Game Feel Better!"

Post by MikeQuell » September 10th, 2015, 10:10 pm

One of the most basic points Joonas hits on that I liked was his comments on figuring out what's the most important thing for the project you're working on. It's something that's often overlooked when working on large scale projects. If you're too busy on making the cake look pretty w/ decorations and it doesn't taste good...then what's the point?
During the GDC Europe 2015 Independent Games Summit, sound designer Joonas Turner (Nuclear Throne, Badland, Broforce) hopped up on stage to deliver a quick primer on what it takes to make your game sound fantastic. He pointed out that no individual backing track or sound effect will elevate your work -- you need to blend and combine sounds to create a unique aural "feel" for your game.

Turner went on to share some practical tips for designing the sound of your next game, and explained how chaining sound effects with visual effects (like crazy screen shake) could take your next project to new heights.

It was a fun high-energy talk that's worth your time to watch, and you can now do so for free via the GDC Vault.
Check out the video for the talk here: http://gamasutra.com/view/news/253265/V ... better.php