Mixing With Purpose

Discussions covering film and television.
Nick Output
Critical Listener

Mixing With Purpose

Post by Nick Output » January 30th, 2014, 10:40 am

Mixing… the dark art of sound.

Over the years as my tracklays have become more intense and have greater depth, I’ve found with this mixing becomes more challenging. Certain genres, Sci-Fi, Horror, Action; this isn’t as much of a problem. A busy mix often adds to the intensity and keeps the energy nice and high. With more cinematic and realistic material this approach becomes less and less useful, to the point where things don’t sound very good at all.

I take the approach of less is more in these instances. Having one or two really good sounds in the mix at any one-time seams to work best here. Those sounds would typically be diegetic.

Does anyone have techniques or approaches they can share regarding mixing for more cinematic content? What sounds do you push up to the front? What type of sounds do you avoid in the mix?

deskinscraig
Critical Listener

Re: Mixing With Purpose

Post by deskinscraig » January 30th, 2014, 11:47 am

In my opinion, whatever is carrying the story at any given moment needs to be the focal point for the audience. I try to keep my mixes focused and obvious, and above all not distracting or annoying. Dialogue is king, and will almost always be the most present sound in your mix.