Sony PCM-M10 channel imbalance

Conversations on gear and other tools of the trade.
AndreEngelhardt
Critical Listener

Sony PCM-M10 channel imbalance

Post by AndreEngelhardt » October 29th, 2013, 7:26 am

Hey all,
I recently got myself a Sony PCM-M10 as an 'always ready' recorder I carry with me at all times. I've been using it a lot and love it except for the fact that when using the internal mics there is a channel imbalance of +1.6dB on the right channel. Now fixing it in post isn't an issue but somehow it bugs me and I have been debating whether or not to try to get it replaced under warranty.

I'm wondering what are your experiences, should I bother trying to get it exchanged or just deal with it considering the price of the M10?

Cheers

samueljustice
Critical Listener

Re: Sony PCM-M10 channel imbalance

Post by samueljustice » October 29th, 2013, 11:32 am

Hmm sounds like a hardware fault, I use mine near daily and have never experienced a discrepancy between channel gain. I would look at getting it replaced as the issue could get worse down the line.

MikeQuell
Site Admin

Post by MikeQuell » October 29th, 2013, 11:40 am

Yea, I agree. I have one too and haven't had a problem with it. I would swap it out for a new one. You'll be happier you did in the long run.

AndreEngelhardt
Critical Listener

Post by AndreEngelhardt » October 30th, 2013, 8:51 am

Thanks for the reply guys, I dropped the recorder off at the store I bought it from today and should have it back in 2-4 weeks , they didn't want to swap it out for a new one right away since I have had it for 2 months already <insert customer service rant here> so they're sending it to Sony for repair. I'll post the result of the repair once I get the unit back.

Thanks for your help!

Update: Sony swapped the recorder for a new one but I didn't get any more information from them about the cause or issue or what their quality tolerances are (not to mention it took them 6 weeks). New recorder seems to be fine so far so all's good.