Sound Guru's "The Mangle" Granular Synth

Conversations on gear and other tools of the trade.
MikeQuell
Site Admin

Sound Guru's "The Mangle" Granular Synth

Post by MikeQuell » January 27th, 2014, 7:18 pm

The Mangle's beautiful streamlined interface makes it a joy to use. The real-time animation of every individual grain is mesmerizing, and the ability to stretch a single sound into tiny harmonic particles is wonderful. I can already tell this is going to be one of my favorite tools for sample manipulation!

-- Richard Devine
Nice looking granular synth here. Has anyone used it? Looks pretty nice for music. I'm liking the arpeggiator at 6:55+. It's cool that most things are automated but I'm wondering how many free plug-ins do this?

Source: http://sound-guru.com/software/mangle/

[center][youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjKu8hd3Z_E[/youtube][/center]

Nick Output
Critical Listener

Re: Sound Guru's "The Mangle" Granular Synth

Post by Nick Output » January 30th, 2014, 4:21 am

Hi,

I've not seen this before… great find Mike. I've been using the Alchemy for sometime as its been the most convenient granular tool i have for a while now. This definitely looks like an interesting alternative. Although after watching the video once, i didn't see much in the way of filtering options or FX. I think with the addition of these features it would be a very powerful tool indeed!

RE what it would be good for. I often find with most granular devices using more unorthodox makes it easier to create sound effects that are not as musical in nature. Filtering and FX form a big part of this for me. In the past I've used a recording of a CD player spinning up to create digital style textures etc. Sustained sounds often work best in my experience, transient sounds like gun shots tend to just sound really flanged out in this type of plug. Im going to check it out all the same.

Thanks!

MikeQuell
Site Admin

Post by MikeQuell » January 31st, 2014, 1:49 am

Nick Output wrote:I've been using the Alchemy for sometime as its been the most convenient granular tool i have for a while now. This definitely looks like an interesting alternative. Although after watching the video once, i didn't see much in the way of filtering options or FX. I think with the addition of these features it would be a very powerful tool indeed!
Thanks!
Alchemy is great! I agree, I think the simplicity of the plug just jumped out to me and it's pretty cheap. But I think you can find free ones that do stuff similar.

Nick Output
Critical Listener

Post by Nick Output » February 1st, 2014, 4:08 am

Hi Mike,

Sure, I’ve seen one or two free alternatives but I’ve never got on very well with them. The other oscillators on the Alchemy are also pretty useful, combining waves shapes with granular content gives some interesting results.

Maybe a resource post for free synths could be a good idea here Mike? I would be happy to post up links to the ones I use. Quality is always an issue with free software so drawing from the experience of everyone on here will surely save us all some time :) I’ll have a dig through my bookmarks and see what I can find.

Is there a post like this already?

MikeQuell
Site Admin

Post by MikeQuell » February 1st, 2014, 11:46 am

Nick Output wrote:Maybe a resource post for free synths could be a good idea here Mike? I would be happy to post up links to the ones I use. Quality is always an issue with free software so drawing from the experience of everyone on here will surely save us all some time :) I’ll have a dig through my bookmarks and see what I can find.

Is there a post like this already?
Nope, there's only a hardware synth discussion here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9
and and iOS app discussion here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=116

A free synth thread sounds cool! I know a lot of Pro Tools users would probably want something specially catered to them since a lot of them can't use VST. Feel free to start a thread!

Nick Output
Critical Listener

Post by Nick Output » February 2nd, 2014, 5:03 am

MikeQuell wrote: A free synth thread sounds cool! I know a lot of Pro Tools users would probably want something specially catered to them since a lot of them can't use VST. Feel free to start a thread!
Awesome. I use pro tools as well so would be in the same boat there. I'll check out these other threads then make a start on something for granular synths and sound creation. Although, i think my own collection of freeware is rather slim! Seams like a good excuse to expand the collection.

I'll post a new link at the bottom of this post when its up.

Nick Output
Critical Listener

Post by Nick Output » February 18th, 2014, 3:44 am

Post on granular and sample based synths here - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=174