Are 200 audio assets achievable w/ a free Wwise license?

Conversations on gear and other tools of the trade.
MikeQuell
Site Admin

Are 200 audio assets achievable w/ a free Wwise license?

Post by MikeQuell » March 18th, 2014, 5:24 pm

Curious how many projects have come under the 200 asset sound limit. I could see some very small projects hitting this but don't have any hard numbers. Anyone out there work on projects that would fit within this budget? I think it's incredibly generous of AudioKinetic and can see a lot of smaller scale games (something like Angry Birds) taking advantage of it.

-Mike

JackMenhorn
Critical Listener

Re: Are 200 audio assets achievable w/ a free Wwise license?

Post by JackMenhorn » March 23rd, 2014, 10:19 am

The day after Wwise announced this new model I convinced two projects I am working on to use Wwise. One is an iOS puzzle game that is projected to have +/- 35 sfx and 1minute-ish of music. I leveraged that by using Wwise we would be able to keep the number of assets where they are (thus keeping their budget down) but allow for greater variation and quality.

The other project was using XNA but is being ported to MonoDevelop (i think?) so they were going to have to find an alternative to XACT anyway; and fortunately Wwise came along and made the search much easier. Again, the number of assets are very small due to scope; but in this case we were already planning a dynamic music system which will be further enhanced and expanded due to the quality of the Wwise software.

AKMikeD
Intern

Post by AKMikeD » March 25th, 2014, 1:17 pm

Just wanted to add one quick thing here. To get your Limited Commercial License, there are a few steps to take.

1) Create a user account on our website (kind of important)
2) Once you've done that, you'll see a link at the top right to 'Create a Project'. Click it.
3) Now you provide us with a few details about your game/project (codename, some comments, platform targets, etc.)
4) Provide us with your company name and address (if you're a company of one, just write Self Employed in the company name field)
5) Check off the 'I Agree to the License' box (you might want to skim through that first)

Then, I receive these requests and approve them. I will pretty much approve anything, provided the information's all there. You should get a confirmation either from me (for now) or automatically (soon) once I approve.

If anyone has any questions, fire them off to info@audiokinetic.com!

-Mike Drummelsmith
Audiokinetic

MikeQuell
Site Admin

Post by MikeQuell » March 25th, 2014, 9:21 pm

Someone brought up an interesting idea on Reddit to seek through files to help come in under the 200 asset limit. It actually could be a pretty savvy idea. I personally haven't tried to mess around with markers or file start times yet but I would imagine it's something that's possible and could be taken advantage of.

deskinscraig
Critical Listener

Post by deskinscraig » March 27th, 2014, 4:11 pm

That's pretty clever. 200 assets is very applicable to mobile games, and If I was in that market I would choose Wwise over Fmod in a heartbeat. Outside of mobile though, I would rather play it safe with Fmods budget ceiling and still have a great tool at my disposal.

DanCostello
Critical Listener

Post by DanCostello » April 4th, 2014, 5:26 pm

MikeQuell wrote:Someone brought up an interesting idea on Reddit to seek through files to help come in under the 200 asset limit. It actually could be a pretty savvy idea. I personally haven't tried to mess around with markers or file start times yet but I would imagine it's something that's possible and could be taken advantage of.
Interesting. That's also the basic idea behind CSS sprites:
http://css-tricks.com/css-sprites/

-Dan.